Guide to the Papers of Francis Downes
|Manuscript Name||Papers of Francis Downes|
|Manuscript Number||MSS 362|
|Last Updated||June 2014|
|Extent||6 cm (3 folders, 1 box)|
|Location||Academy Library, UNSW Canberra|
Restrictions on Use
No copying is permitted without the permission of the copyright owners.
- Photocopy of the following: ‘Military Murmurs: Major-General Downes’, Quiz and the Lantern, 30 June, 1898, p. 3;
- Front page of Table Talk, no. 752 (December 1, 1899), featuring portrait titled ‘Major-General Downes, .C.M.G., The Newly Appointed Military Commandant’;
- ‘South Australian Social Items’, The Illustrated Sydney News, 5 July, 1900, p. 14; The Argus, 16 October, 1923, p. 10; The Argus, 17 October, 1923, p. 18
- Excerpt from Who Was Who 1916-1928:...containing the biographies of those who died during the period 1916-1928 (London, 1967).
- Photocopy of ‘Sketch of Career of Major-General M.F. Downes, R.A., C.M.G., 47 pages.
- Photocopy of 2-page excerpt on Crimean War.
- Photocopy of 17-page excerpt on his military experiences from 1850s to 1860.
- Photocopy of ‘Notes by Major General M.F. Downes’, concerning his sojourn in Adelaide, South Australia during 1877, 6 pages.
- Photocopies of the following South Australian government records: Six State Papers received, 10 May 1877-10 July 1877.
- Photocopies of the following Chief Secretary’s Office: Five documents for 1882, 1883 and 1889.
- Photocopies of ‘Major General Downes (Correspondence). Return to an Address of the Honourable The House of Commons, dated 27 February 1890’, British Parliamentary Papers, 1890, vol. XLIII, no. 129, pp. 175-191.
- Photocopy of excerpt from Hansard’s Parliamentary Debates, Third Series..., vol. CCCXXXIV (London, 1889), pp. 507, 510-11, 514.
- Photocopy of ‘Colonies (Naval and Military Services). Return to an Address of the House of Lords, dated 28th March 1887’, House of Lords Sessional Papers (no, 85), vol. XII. (London, 1887)