The Good, The Bad and The Missing: A Conversation on the 2020 Defence Strategic Update
Join us for a panel discussion on the 2020 Defence Strategic Update, as we bring together researchers from the UNSW Canberra School of Humanities and Social Sciences and external experts on key aspects of the strategic environment.
In July 2020, amid a global economic crisis, an emerging U.S.-China Cold War and an ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, the Department of Defence released its Defence Strategic Update and Force Structure Plan, outlining a significant update to Australian defence policy and a reorientation of force structure to match. The Update was developed over the course of a year, with contributions from participants throughout Defence and across Government. But how well does it address the fast-moving challenges of one of the most dynamic and threatening environments in Australian strategic history? What’s good, what’s bad, and what’s missing in the document?
Our panel will include:
Moderator and Discussant: Professor David Kilcullen, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, UNSW Canberra
Introduction: Commodore Peter Leavy CSM, RAN, Commandant, Australian Defence Force Academy
- Air Vice Marshall (Ret'd) John Blackburn, Institute for Integrated Economic Research
- Ms Cheryl Durrant, former Director of Preparedness and Mobilisation
- Professor Jian Zhang, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, UNSW Canberra
- Professor Aurelia George Mulgan, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, UNSW Canberra
- Professor James Goldrick, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, UNSW Canberra
Don't miss out, join in the conversation and register today!